Well it’s time to say goodbye to Italy. We’ve decided to make our way to France as quickly as possible, which will mean some long drives through the night.
What we’ll miss about Italy:
- delicious food, especially pizza and gelati
- friendly people
- going for the passegiata (evening stroll)
- amazing art works and architecture
What we won’t miss:
- the high prices of things, especially fuel
- ridiculous drivers, the worst we have yet encountered
- third-world quality roads
- litter everywhere, especially at scenic viewpoints
- huge numbers of tourists at every destination
In all we’re not sad to be leaving. Italy has some positive aspects but on the whole we weren’t nearly as enamoured with it as we thought we’d be. Of all the places we’ve visited it’s the first that I felt that I might not bother visiting again.